Friday, March 31, 2006

Thursday 3/30/06

Let me preface this by saying, "What I do for a run workout can't be called 'running'."

Went out for 1:40 run today doing 5 minute rest intervals and 2 minute run intervals. Got a good 10 minute warm up in and quickly found that the new route I was on was not safe at all. I thought there was enough room on the side of the road to run on, but was wrong. Cars were just too close. And, I was in a neighborhood I had not worked out in before and found that these rednecks over in this area don't leash there dogs. There was this one lady on her porch, probably chewing tobacco, trying to calm her dog down as I walked by. I heard her say, "Now, that young man is on the other side of the street and is not bothering anyone." The dog must have understood that logic since it yielded and did not attack. Then, some kid asks me if I knew where the Ice Cream truck was. All I heard during my run was that stupid ice cream truck blaring it's 'You have to come buy an ice cream from me' music. If I knew where the ice cream truck was, I would have been ditching the 2 minute interval idea and running after it!

As I turn the corner and get close to hitting a street that connects back to my neighborhood, I see a nice, big rottweiler laying next to a truck. At this point, I decide it is time to turn around and get back to more familiar ground. As I am making my way back, I have to pass Ma Clampett and her mutt on the porch. Thankfully, a kid on a bike was riding at mach 3 past me bringing a chasing dog my way. I quickly thought I could clothesline the kid and get away on his bike. And then I realized his bike was not a proper fit for me, so I spared him. I saw the dog realizing he couldn't catch the bike and setting his eyes on me. But, we were in front of Ma Clampetts at this point and her dog went after the dog in chase. I like that family and their dog now :) Might have to take a bundt cake over or something...

It was a relief to be back on that road that was too narrow and back to easing my mind with simple prayer that I don't get taken out by a Studebaker or something. Went back to my old route an finished up the run. Back was certainly feeling the 2 minute jaunts, but as you can tell from my HR file, I wasn't breaking any sound barriers. Got 5 miles in and actually felt the best I have in any run/walk workout so far.

Got back the the house and hoped on the trainer to do a 30 minute spin up session. that stopped after 10 minutes as I felt like I was about to tump again. So, I scratched things there since it was close to 8pm and figured I could do some technique work in my interval workout tomorrow. I reckon I need to pull out the instructions on my trainer and read them. I am sure it is more in my mind than anything. So, a nice 10 minute cool down on the bike is what that turned into.

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home